- Made inGermany
- 185°C in4.5minutes
- Suitable for large groups
Click and drag the image to rotate it
- LED Dual Temp Display
- Precise Digital Temp Control
- Combustion not possible
- Easy to clean
- Can use concentrates
- Great for groups
- No fluctuations in temperature
- “Portability” with detachable bag
- Slow to heat up
- Noisy fan
Germany boasts some of the finest engineering in the world, and the Volcano vaporizer is no exception. Made by Storz and Bickel in Tuttlingen, Germany, the convection based vaporizer has long been touted as the King of Vaporizers – holding that title since the introduction of their Classic version way back in 2000.
In 2007, Storz and Bickel released a digital version of the Volcano, taking one of the best vaporizers available and improving it even more by adding a large digital display, slightly more accurate temperature control* and an automatic shut-off timer. Like it’s younger sibling, the digital version also works by convection, which means that the herb is heated by hot air that is blown through it with a built-in fan, as opposed to the herb being in direct contact with the heating element (conduction). This results in a much more even and thorough heating of your botanical, providing higher quality vapor and being more efficient than standard conduction vaporizers.
Over the bi-metallic regulator found on the Classic version (± 1.5°C instead of ± 5°C)
What's in the box?
- Volcano Vaporizer
- 2x Air Filters
- Storz & Bickel Grinder
- User Manual
Easy Valve Starter Set
- 5x Easy Valve Balloons
- 6x Normal Screens
- Filling Chamber
- Liquid Pad
- Cleaning Brush
How it's used
The digital temperature display (as well as the yellow control lamp) will light up. The upper, red display is the actual (current) temperature, while the lower, green display is the set (desired) temperature. The party begins when the actual temp matches the set temp. It takes 4 and a half minutes to heat up from 25°C (77°F) to 185°C (365°F).
The Volcano will remember your last heat settings each time you turn it on, and to adjust the heat is simple: push the big plus (+) button to increase the heat, press the big minus (-) button to decrease the heat – both by increments of 1 degree. Holding the buttons down will increase/decrease the values rapidly. Holding both the plus and minus buttons together will switch back and forth between Fahrenheit and Celsius.
Everyone has their own opinion as to which temperatures work the best, so it’s really up to personal preference. Play around with it and discover what works best for you – the default temperature when the Volcano is switched on for the very first time is 185°C (365°F), which is a good starting point. You can then increase it slightly after each bag, but don’t go over 204°C (400°F) otherwise you may as well just roll one. You can tell when your herb is finished when it starts to smell like burnt popcorn.
The chamber is filled by twisting the cap counterclockwise and removing it, filling it with the desired amount of herb (minimum 1mm and maximum 10mm) and screwing the cap back on. The finer the grind, the better.
Pop the chamber onto the hot air outlet and “lock” it into place by giving it a firm push. Next, attach the valve to the bag (also called the ‘balloon’) and attached that to the filling chamber.
5. Switch on the air pump.
Press the green button labeled “AIR” to activate the air pump. The bag will start to fill up, taking roughly 40 seconds to fill up completely.
When the bag is full, you simply disconnect the filling chamber from the hot air outlet (unless filling multiple bags), disconnect the bag from the chamber and pop the stopper back into the bag’s valve. This process is very smooth and quick, with virtually no vapor leakage due to the bags being self-sealing.
7. Your intergalactic space travels may now commence.
Push the valve against your lips and inhale at your own leisure. The vapor that forms in the bag should be used within 5 to 10 minutes for best results, although it can be stored in the bag for a lot longer – up to a few hours*. One of the great features of the bag system is the fact that you can fill the bag and then walk around with it, as opposed to being tied down to the vaporizer during usage.
Make sure that you remove the filling chamber before filling your lungs so that you don’t find wasted herb on your return trip to earth. As for the actual device, it will turn off by itself after 30 minutes, so don’t worry if you find yourself unable to press that large, green button due to an unusual heaviness in your arm.
While storing vapor for hours seems great, keep in mind that it means your bags will wear out quicker.
How it stacks up
Build Quality Score: 97
From the durable, brushed stainless steel shell to the smooth, billows of vapor it puts out, the Volcano definitely delivers all the quality one might expect from a vaporizer with such a hefty price tag. Each unit is hand-built in Germany using only medical grade and food safe materials, with the device feeling very robust and sturdy.
The digital display is clear and easy to read, with the heating element sporting an amazing temperature accuracy of ± 1,5°C (± 2,7°F). All the loose parts fit securely together, and the bags are free of any harmful softeners (hence the crackling sound when handled or filled). The body of the Volcano stands firmly on any surface with it’s wide base and rubber feet, so unless clumsiness is your main characteristic, it shouldn’t be making contact with any hard floor surfaces. It also stays cool to the touch, with the top of the Volcano becoming only slightly warm if left on for a while.
Below is a list of materials used in the construction of a Volcano:
Heating Element: Steel clad ceramic
Heat Exchanger: Aluminium alloy
EASY/SOLID Valve: Steel; Heat tempered ABS polymer
Balloon: 100% polythene (food grade)
Air System: 100% silicone (food grade)
Like a true German company, Storz and Bickel takes quality control very seriously. They are the only vaporizer manufacturer to employ a certified quality management system that ensures the high quality of their production process, with each of their operation procedures being systematically inspected and evaluated every 3 to 6 months by an independent testing institute.
Vapor Quality Score: 98
There is a reason why the Volcano is the main vaporizer used in coffee shops and hospitals alike. User safety has always been the top priority for Storz and Bickel, so it should come as no surprise that it is the only device approved by Health Canada for the consumption of medical marijuana.
Because of the greater surface area of the balloon, the vapors cool down to ambient temperatures immediately
The Volcano uses the patented valve balloon system (into which the generated vapor is pumped), so the process of vaporization is effectively separated from the process of inhalation. The balloon can then be completely detached from the device after filling and the vapor inhaled at the user’s ease. This ensures that the application is completely safe, since vaporization occurs previously and the user does not come into contact with glass, heat or electricity during inhalation. The valve system also prevents contamination inside the balloon, since exhaling into the valve is prevented.
The balloon is an oven bag as commonly used to bake food for hours in an oven with temperatures up to 200°C. The vapors have a maximum temperature of 130°C when they come out of the Volcano’s valve and touch the balloon for the first time. Because of the greater surface area of the balloon, the vapors cool down to ambient temperatures immediately. Oven bags are heatproof, safe for use with food, and absolutely tasteless. They are perfect for use with vapors and can be bought in nearly every supermarket in the world. They don’t add anything to the vapor.
The taste and smoothness of the vapor that the Volcano produces is incredible to say the least
Ease of Use Score: 96
If someone finds operating the Volcano even remotely tricky, they’ve probably had one too many bags already. With it’s very large, simple red and green buttons and it’s straight-forward operation, the Volcano offers an obstacle-free one-way ticket to Mars and beyond. The digital readout is bright and clear, which allows you to easily monitor the set and desired temperature – no more burnt herb when vaping in the dark.
Seasoned tokers and those used to the whip-style vaporizers might find the transition to using bags slightly awkward at first, though it doesn’t take long to grow accustomed to it. Some people don’t really like using bags to consume their botanical, others love it – it all boils down to personal preference. The good news is that the Volcano can technically be converted into a whip-style vaporizer should you so wish, check the “mods” section below. The main advantages of using the bag system are: cooled vapor, the ability to leave the vaporizer and take the bag with you, being able to accurately monitor the amount and density of the vapor and being able to store it in the bag for short periods of time.
Cleaning Score: 96
Cleaning the Volcano is quick and easy, since the actual device itself is maintenance free and the bags are just replaced after ±100 uses. The three parts that need occasional cleaning are the mouthpiece, valve and filling chamber. This should be done when any distinct residue is detected and is really easy to do, guaranteeing proper functioning and a clean taste. It’s also a good idea to clean the valve parts when changing balloons.
The brushed, stainless steel shell does tend to pick up fingerprints quite easily with handling, but simply wiping it with warm water and a sponge/cloth gets rid of them – ‘warm’ being the keyword.
The air filter, found at the bottom of the hot air generator, must be inspected for contamination every four weeks by turning the air filter cap counterclockwise and removing it (a little round piece of foam).
Warranty Score: 85
The Volcano comes with a full 3 year warranty, which seems a bit short considering it’s price. In the event that your Volcano needs a visit to the sick bay, you can send it back to Storz and Bickel and they will repair it for you free of charge – provided that it’s a material or construction error. However, if the Volcano is damaged due to mishandling, expect to receive a quote for repair.
What others are saying
- I love my Volcano, I haven’t regretted the amount of money I spent on it at all, and after a couple of years of daily use, it still works perfectly, I’ve never had a single problem with it.Grasscity Member
- s&b say one hundred uses for a bag, but i have used one bag far past that…The bag will get some honey on the bottom of it, but thats really all that happens after 100 uses Grasscity Member
- In my opinion, it’s the best bag vape on the planet, so it’s a great vape IF you like sucking on bags to get your vapor AND you are going to be using it a lot in party situations simply because it’s so idiot proof. Grasscity Member
- They are worth the rep they have! Cannabis.com Member
- I have tried countless other vaporizing products, and none come close to the performance of the Volcano. I will continue to use and purchase Storz & Bickel products with confidence and the assurance of a guaranteed quality product Customer Review
- I decided to splurge and bought a Volcano classic. Haven’t even THOUGHT of my bong since then, and just sold it last week Grasscity Member
- I don’t even want to smoke cigarettes (I also stopped that cold turkey after I got the Cano) Grasscity Member
- I’ve battled severe asthma all my life. Many, many ER trips, hospital stays, and even ICU for over a week at one point. With this vaporizer? Zero breathing problems Gizmodo comment
- Find me someone who prefers any other bag filler to the volcano. There really is no contest. Reddit Member
- The king of vapes! Yes its expensive, but the build quality is untouchable. This machine is made to last, its serviceable, and not cheaply made in china. Its been around longer than most and that may make it seem dated, but its a proven design and doesn’t really have any issues that need to be addressed. You can really dial the temperature right in with either the classic or the digit. It may no be for everyone, but its the best at what it is (tabletop bag vape) Reddit Member
- The volcano is so simple and user friendly and it’s ready out of the box Reddit Member
- It’s definitely easy to get much higher than you expect with the volcano, but if you go easy on it you should be fine. Just keep in mind that even though the hits don’t feel like much in your lungs, they will hit you hard Reddit Member
- You will not regret your decision, I bought mine secondhand on eBay and have had it for years. It seems indestructible! Reddit Member
- With the Volcano I can control what sort of high I get, if I want to just relax after long day at work I run it at 180 get a light clean vapor to get a gentle high then on the days I wish to see Mars I boost it up to 210 and see the other side with a thick dark cloud of awesomeness Reddit Member
- The volcano is in my opinion the best vape you can own…Proud owner of 4 years and never looked back Reddit Member
- Do yourself a favor a invest in the Volcano. I’ve had mine for 6+ years and it still runs like a dream, saves me money and keeps me healthy Reddit Member
- I know people with between 8 and 10 years old units…functioning like the first damn day… Fuckcombustion Member
- I can echo the greatness of their customer service Grasscity Member
- They have them at dispensaries around here on 24/7 and they keep on trucking Fuckcombustion Member
- We’ve been using the Volcano vaporiser in the Hash Marijuana Hemp Museum since it was released. It is easily the best vaporizer on the market in terms of efficient use of cannabis plus effect on the user Sensi Seeds Member
- These things sure can take a beating Sensi Seeds Member
- I wouldn’t put it on my top 10 personally. Maybe not even my top 15. Grasscity Member
- Is it the best? I don’t think it is personally. It’s great. I will give it that, but there are cheaper vapes out there that i enjoy more Fuckcombustion Member
- The volcano works and it works well, but these days some aspects of it are simply too dated. It takes a large amount of herb and doesn’t offer water filtration…The vapor quality is great, but I don’t think you get your moneys worth with these vapes. For that much money you can certainly do better Reddit Member
Tips and Tricks
- If you find yourself coughing, you might be setting the temperature too high. Try starting at around 185°C (365°F) and working your way up
- The balloon does not have to be filled completely (even less than half filled can be sufficient)
- Only fill the amount that you want to consume within ten minutes to avoid condensation inside the balloon
- Inhale only half the volume of air that one could inhale
- Hold the plus and minus buttons together to switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius
- If the actual temperature is higher than the desired temperature, cool down the Volcano faster by switching on the air pump
- If you leave the chamber loaded with material on the volcano as its heating or reached it desired temp. it will gently heat your material but not vape it since the air isn’t turned on/flowing through the chamber. Let it sit for 15 seconds to a minute to create very thick vapor
- Never leave the filling chamber on the hot air generator when not filling a bag
- Never touch the hot air generator while in use or cooling down
- Keep the Volcano away from sunlight
- The oven bags used for turkeys are excellent replacement bags. Saves you quite a bit of money!
- DIY Easy Valve replacement
- Turn the Volcano into a whip-style vaporizer:
The Volcano has been around now for quite sometime – with the Classic version bringing smiles to the population from as far back as 2002. And the fact that the overall design and functioning has not seen any drastic changes in all those years definitely speaks for itself when considering the Volcano’s quality. It doesn’t have all the fancy bells and whistles found in the newer high-end vaporizers, but it has no need for them. It has one primary objective: vaporize your herb in the most effective and healthy way possible, and it achieves this with flying colors. So if you are looking for a durable desktop unit that is easy to use, extremely powerful and which regards your health as a top priority, the Volcano is definitely an investment that is worth considering.